Bacteria in Playgrounds

Bacteria in playgrounds

You pull into the McDonald’s, starving children in tow with enough energy after a day at school to power the Hoover Dam. You quickly decide it might be a good idea to eat in and let the kids play on the playground to burn off a little steam.

Warning: The playground at your local fast food restaurant may pose a serious threat to the health of your children.

Before you decide to let your children use a play facility in a fast food restaurant, here’s a news flash: Restaurants are regulated and audited to maintain cleanliness standards by law as well as children’s childcare facilities but, “Children’s facilities within restaurants” have “No clearly defined standards of cleanliness to maintain”.

One mother of four, Erin Carr-Jordan, a college professor with a doctorate in developmental psychology found a restaurant play area so visibly filthy, she was compelled to speak with the manager. When on the next visit, things had not improved she began her investigation on a larger, more serious scale, collecting samples from 9 different restaurants in 7 states and having them tested at an accredited laboratory.

Her study findings: fecal matter, matted hair, rotting food in 8 out of 9 plays areas. And we are not talking about a little bit.

One restaurant sample showed 20 million fecal matter bacteria in a 2 sq. inch area. The areas tested positive for hazardous pathogens and antibiotic resistant superbug, MRSA.

MRSA and Staph are easily spreadable on hands and may enter the body through the lungs, nose, mouth, skin abrasions, etc.

In response to her actions, Carr-Jordan received a letter from McDonalds, banning she and her children from visiting 8 of their locations in her immediate area.  Are you kidding me?? Carr-Jordan is successfully working to set standards of cleaning these facilities into State law.

So what are you to do in the same scenario?

  1. Check out the playground before you let the kids play. If it is not up to your standards, go somewhere else.
  2. Always carry a disinfectant with you. Vital Oxide is available in a 3 oz bottle.
  3. Make sure your kids wash their hands and face with soap and water before eating and after playing.

Don’t be embarrassed to spray a restaurant table or the commonly touched items like salt and pepper shakers, before eating.

Most standard cleaning and hygiene products are not strong enough to kill MRSA. Some of the most popular products may even cause antibiotic resistance and can weaken your immune system. Effective disinfectants will have a stated MRSA and Staph bacteria kill time.

Michelle Moore
Microbiologist and Natural Health Expert

Choose carefully which restaurants you patronize. Reports of failure to follow cleanliness guidelines are public knowledge and normally available online through the county board of health.

Vital Oxide is rated as a hospital disinfectant by the US EPA. It is strong enough to kill MRSA, Pseudomonas, E coli and many more dangerous blood borne pathogens, bacteria and viruses, yet gentle enough to spray on a counter top and enjoy your meal. Other, less effective anti-microbial products on the market can serve to cause antibiotic resistant bacterial growth.